It's Kanaval!

Labor Day Parade!




That's me in the middle.








Me and My beautiful mas partner Zena

Labor day is a day where all of the West Indies and Caribbean Islands come together and celebrate their heritage and culture. We do so through music, dance, costumes, food and etc. On this day every one brings their flag representing which Island they are from, and to be honest I learn about a new Island every year, lol. 

A friend of mine from Nigeria joined me on the parkway this year, as we danced our way down the road (8.6 miles/3.5 hrs). She said that it was her first time going to a carnaval and I was glad that her first time was with the West Indian culture. She said the number one thing that she noticed, which also inspired her, is that the caribbean culture accepts all body types and allows everyone to be confident and comfortable in their skin. 

As we danced and walked down the parkway, we saw all different shapes and sizes of men and women in their costumes, dancing freely and comfortably. I said to my friend, "In the west Indian and Caribbean culture, when it cones to carnival, we don't care about body type and shape, we just want to dress up, dance, and have fun".

If anyone ever want to see the most confident men and women comfortable in their skin, come to the West Indian parade on Labor day.


Popular Posts